Holy Cross Lutheran Church started as a church plant of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod in Oxford, Michigan in 1943. The first service was held on December 5, 1943. Members excited about the new mission in Oxford, raised money to buy a new church building, and bought property at 18 West Burdick Street in June, 1944.
During the summer months, church members remodeled the first floor of the new building to serve as a chapel. They created a worship space that would seat 120 people. Neighboring congregations donated materials to support the church plant. St. Andrews Church in Detroit, donated pews for the chapel and St. John’s Church in Rochester donated a lectern. One of the members of Holy Cross built an altar for the church, and other members and groups provided for the rest of the materials for the chapel.
Holy Cross Lutheran Church was dedicated in its new building on September 24, 1944 with two services. After the church’s dedication, members of Holy Cross started planning to organize the church plant into an official congregation of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod in early 1945. On February 25, the congregation was officially instituted.
Holy Cross continued to grow and in 1953 purchased a new property for constructing a new church building at our current location on 136 S. Washington Street. By 1961, Holy Cross had grown in membership and had more than 200 children participating in Sunday school.
In 1965, Holy Cross opened a Christian preschool ministry. It still operates today, has been repeatedly voted best preschool in our community and has shown the love of Christ to hundreds of families and thousands of children over the course of its 50-years in ministry.
The ministry continues at Holy Cross today because of the dedication of its members, who have supported sharing the love of Jesus Christ with the community of Oxford, Lake Orion and beyond. Holy Cross has sent missionaries around the world, with intentional efforts to share the Gospel in China.